Become a CPA, CGA
Please note that the registration period for the CPA, CGA path ended on September 3, 2013. Currently registered in the CPA, CGA path? Consult the transition measures applicable to your path.
To find out how to become a CPA in Quebec, visit the Order's website or contact one of our Administrative Officers by email at candidatCPA-CGA@cpaquebec.ca.
The road to a strong skill set
Professional accounting services are regulated and reserved for members of a professional body who have been certified as competent. The Ordre des CPA du Québec has thus marked out a path that will ensure that its new CPA, CGA members are competent.
Undergraduate degree: bachelor of accounting sciences or equivalent
- Bachelor of business administration (BBA), accounting major, or
- Bachelor of accounting sciences, or
- BBA program courses (accounting major) or certificate programs for holders of another undergraduate degree, or
- Undergraduate degree completed by accumulating certificates in accordance with the CGA program and with the university as regards certification.
Two technical competency exams
- Advanced Personal and Corporate Taxation (TX2);
- Advanced External Auditing (AU2) or
- Internal Auditing and Controls (MU1).
Short graduate program in professional practice (PPP)
- This program is offered on a full-time or part-time basis at most universities in Québec. It totals 15 credits.
Two professional competency exams (PA1 et PA2)
- The professional competency exams test students’ skills within a professional context.
A 24-month practical training program
- All prospective CPA, CGAs must complete 24 months of practical training. For more information on the practical experience component, refer to the Practical Work Experience section.